Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shari & Hubby head off to College


What a busy weeks continued.......................


I have been debating on returning to school myself. I have done some investigation into different fields and schools. So has my dear Hubby. I decided to put it aside until I get the kiddos off to school and then look into things again by September.

I got a call last Wednesday, the 19th, from Provo College telling me that had room in their Physical Therapy program if I wanted to start on Monday, otherwise I would have to wait a whole year. I also was looking at their Pharmacy Tech which would start on the 31st- a week later. I had to think long and hard to make the right choice. And it was the longest day of my life.

However, after conferring with my husband, my parents, a Physical Therapy neighbor and my Heavenly Father, I decided that I would do the Pharmacy Tech program.

So I have registered for the Diploma program which is about a 10 month program. Then I will be able to go to work and can continue with getting my Associates in Pharmacy Tech. I feel really good about this decision and am ready for the challenge it brings.

I have been doing a lot of thinking and researching concerning returning to college for the last few months, but this all fell into place very quickly and feels very right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Michael was all set to take the RN program through Stevens Heneger College, but our biggest hangup was that the classes were in Ogden and that would mean a long commute, wear and tear on our one car and the gas for the gas hog, and when would he have time to study and work? It was a huge problem.
So then he changed programs and was accepted into the Healthcare Administration program that is out of the Provo Campus and he went for a week. He started in Psychology and was really liking that class. He got a laptop with this school and he was all psyched.


But then I got involved. I was never keen on his new choice of program. It was bothering me something awful.

So I convinced him to check out Provo College with me to see if we could get him into a better and less expensive program as well as better use our car. We are sharing one car still.


So he came with me and tried to get into classes to get into their RN program, but that wasn't going to work. So as I was filling out my paperwork and talking to my admissions rep, he finally said- why don't I do this too?

Why not? He was looking into Pharmacist School about 5 years ago, so it is something he is interested in. So we both signed up.

We can use our car to get us both to school, we will be able to spend 4 days a week with each other without the kids in the car. We just won't have one date night, we can have four dates a week! I doubt we will get sick of each other, so this is really a wonderful blessing for us.

We will just have to tighten our financial belts even more for a few months. The only thing I am nervous about is his getting work with the bus company during the week. They don't have much work for the evenings, that would allow him to get home at a decent time so he could sleep before school again.

He is still looking for other work, but nothing has come his way yet. Hopefully a job will come now that we are scheduled for classes and really know where his time is already committed.

We were blessed to receive Pell Grants and other financial aid that will help with the cost of school. Hopefully all is going to be well with that aid.

We are applying for scholarships now, and it would be great if we could be awarded some additional help.

And if you are wondering, there were lots of other things that were intertwined throughout the past week that helped make it a very busy week!!!

Gotta love it.................
Life should never be boring.


1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that you're going back to school, and what's even better is that you can do it TOGETHER!

    ReplyDelete