Friday, July 17, 2009

Food On Fridays - Crock Pot Bacon Grease with Photos



 Bacon Grease Photos


I know you have already read my bacon grease post.
But I have some more photos of the process.
So here we go:




Here is my crockpot with the bacon pretty well cooked.  
I let this go a bit longer.
.....................................













Here I am taking the bacon out 
to put into a colander so that more grease can drip off.
.............................................












Here is the grease left in the crockpot and in the bowl the colander dripped into.
.........................................




My two packages of raw bacon has been reduced to 5 bags 
and tossed into the freezer.  
Now if I can keep from snitching from them!  I love bacon!!  
However, the smell as I was rendering them got to be too much even for me.  
I had heard that before and I thought somebody was up in the night!  
But the smell, even good, was powerful and made me feel a bit nauseous.  I was thinking of doing this outside, in the garage, or when I'm gone.  Doing it at night has worked for me before.  But daytime, when I am in the house?  Not again!
................................




Here is my main first stash.  
It is a nice $1.00 crock from the Thrift Store.  I filled it full.  I will keep this one in the fridge.
......................................................





 This is my second container.  
This one is probably going to go in the trailer.  With a moose on it seems appropriate. 
..............................

So there you have some more photos of my process.  It really does take care of itself.  Any spattering is caught on the crockpot lid and then cleaned in the dishwasher.  Easy peasy.  The crockpot is easy to clean and any excess that I don't want to keep is thrown in the trash.  Then the crock is cleaned and put back in its base.  For me, it just couldn't be any easier.

Also, you might have noticed that the bacon seems to be quite limp.  Yes it is.  However a quick fry in the frying pan makes the pieces crispy.  I usually don't do that.  I will chop the meat up pretty fine so that the flavor is distributed in my food.  This works for me.

I like to add some to my baked beans, also done in the crockpot.  There is less grease in my beans, but the flavor is there.

I add finely chopped bits to salads, eggs, casseroles, soups- anything where bacon is called for.

I have bought pre-cooked bacon in 3 pound packages before.  Nice flat strips of bacon.  Man were they nice.  We used to get them for like $5.00 a package.  Then they caught on and now you pay through the nose for them and rarely find a 3 pound package.  They problem I have with this bacon is that I love to grab a piece or 10 and eat them right out of the package!!!

True confessions of a snack-o-holic!!  (Chocolate being the worst!)  So I have to be very careful with having bacon in the house.  So far, (knock-on-wood), I am doing well and not eating (snacking/grazing) on the bacon.  But then I have been out camping and the bacon has been here at the house!!!  Where is my support group when I need them?  WAIT!  I don't have a support group!   I hope I am not heading for disaster!  But it will taste wonderful won't it?  Now I am rambling on....................... So sorry.....................




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Ann's Blog for the Food on Fridays carnival and find more posts 
that might be
anything remotely related to food.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Check out my other posts for these meme's:




2 comments:

  1. You are always coming up with such interesting, simple solutions to making life easier!! And I can't resist bacon--sometimes I go through a somewhat vegetarian or total vegetarian phase, but the thing that both grosses me out and woos me back to red meat is bacon. Mmmmm....why did God make pigs taste so good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...so I had to read this to find out what was going on with the bacon grease! Thanks for the great idea:) Beginning August 5, I hope you will join me at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com for Crock Pot Wednesdays. Check my site soon for details. THERE WILL BE PRIZES:)

    ReplyDelete