Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Our Snowy Monday

Boy did it storm yesterday! We had a lot of snow blow through our subdivision. It actually snowed hard and steady for about 6 hours. However, we only had about 2-3 inches of actual accumulation because it was extremely windy. The weatherman said that we had gusts of 100 mph, I believe we had some of those gusts down here in Saratoga Springs.

Our new house is in a wind path and we always get really gusty winds, something I am not used to. I like it for the most part, but it gets a little nerve racking at times. It feels as though the house could actually lift off and go flying. After a wind storm, we have to go around and retrieve things like the cat food and water dishes, our hose box, pick up the garbage can.

Sometimes the garbage can only gets blown over, but other times it is blown down the street. That is when the can is out for pickup. We have not had trouble yet, KNOCK ON WOOD, with having to pick up strewn garbage. We have used a bungee cord on the can that will keep the lid down but when the truck lifts it up the cord releases. So far our system has worked. I really hate to chase down garbage.

We usually have to gather up boxes, plastic bags and garbage from the construction dumpsters. Anyway, it was really windy and blizzardy yesterday. Today is very nice, a balmy 28 degrees and sunny for a while anyway. We are supposed to get another windy nasty storm tonight.

Our power went out yesterday for about 90 minutes. Not too bad, the house kept the heat in and we were never uncomfortable. There were some power lines that were down about a quarter of a mile from our place. The power company had to replace a pole, but we don't know if a vehicle slid off the road and crashed into the pole or if the horrible winds blew it over.

Some of our neighbors were without power for several hours, but they said they were fine. We gave them a standing invitation to come to our house if they needed to get warm or cook or whatever. No one needed our help this time. Maybe next time.

The snow starting flying about 9am. It was early out for the schools and we found out that the roads were so bad that the school buses had a very hard time getting to the schools to pick up the kids and take them home. Then they had a hard time getting through the neighborhoods to drop off the kids and get back to the next school. Those drivers do the high school, then the jr. high and then the elementary. It was a real mess. Most of the kids were about 2 hours late getting home yesterday, some as much as 3 1/2 hours. It was really bad.

We kept the kids home yesterday, partly because of the weather we woke up to. But mostly because of the weather during the night. The winds howled so loud and the house shook so much, that the kids and I were awakened off and on all night. The kids were quite scared because the sounds and sensations were very new to them. But they are getting used to the winds here and hopefully soon they won't be afraid of the storms. I really am glad I kept the kids home. We had a nice day together and stayed warm and dry.

I was a little unnerved to. But not scared, just bothered- both from the storm and then the kids. Oh and someones car alarm that was triggered at 2:30am and went on for about 20 minutes before it either died or the owners put it out of it's misery. There was so much noise from the wind, if the car was downwind from their bedroom, they probably could not hear it.

Dad was at work and so he missed all the sounds of freight trains, tractor trailers, roaring engines, flying missiles, tanks, bombs, etc., all the noisy windy sounds from the storm. He was nice and snug in the ER with a very light number of patients. They figured that most of the people hung out at home and tried to wait out the storm, before coming to the ER. Very few drivers were out, so the risk of car accidents were low. It was a quiet night at the ER, he said.

Well, bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment