Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Basement Work Center Update

This is our new reading area in our basement. We have a comfortable couch, carpet, soft sheeted walls, and no permanent lights as of yet. However, it is where I love working now, as it is quiet and out of the main flow of our houselife and traffic.
==========================
This shows where the kids desks are. They can be divided with a sheet curtain. It still needs a little work and I may change it from white to a darker sheet. The white sheet can be seen through and I am sure the kids will distract each other if I don't find a better blocker. I have plenty of dark material and sheets to try, so it is on my punch list. It is not a high priority item today or even this week.
============================
This is a nice round table I have had for at least 20 years. It has moved with me all over the place. It may have been a library table at one time. Right now it is at the bottom of the stairs by the kids desks. I have not decided whether to bring in my outside folding chairs (padded and once belonged in a church- I got them from DI and now wished I had gotten 8 instead of 4) to put them around the table. I hope the table will hide some of the over lapping areas of carpet, well not really hide, but keep us from possibly tripping on the edges.
============================
Here is another view of the table and the sofa cell. We made a bookshelf from wood boards and empty MonaVie boxes. I like the innovation and recycling aspects. Once the ceiling gets sheeted, I think the basement spaces will feel very warm and cozy.
=============================
Here is a better look at the innovated shelving. The wall curtain in the middle needs a little adjusting, a pipe at the ceiling is in the way. But I can make it a little smoother.
===========================
Here is the door to our fruit room. We fitted the wall sheet along the edges to completely wrap the insulation and then we hung a sheet by shower curtain rings and put it on a pvc rod. Now we can slide the curtain open, get in the storage room and then slide the curtain shut when we are done. It makes the room appear doorless. I like the fact that there is not a door there breaking up the wall. It is like having a secret room. My goal has always been to have a hidden door for that room so I had to hide it in the temporary construction as well.
=================================
Here shows the storage room with the curtain pulled. Looks good, we think!
=================================
Here is a photo from the other basement room. You can see the sheets on the other side of the framed wall. I plan on making a curtain wall door for the door opening between the Work Center and the other half of the basement. But that too can wait a while.
==========================
So, the walls are all covered now. Next is doing the ceiling. Hubby put in the extra lights in the desk area. We still need to run electricity to the sofa area. I want some ceiling lights and a couple of outlets in the sofa area. It would be fun to run electricity to the cubby space under the stairs for a cozy reading hideaway.
We have temporary power to the desks, so we still need to run an outlet to the framed wall between the two rooms. I am guessing we need three to four circuits to wire the whole basement, so we will run the basic wires and then have an electrician put in the circuits and wire the box.
We might have to get some heat in the main room by tapping into the hvac ducting like we did in the old house. That worked great. So we will have to see. The basement here might be just fine just the way it is.
I do need to get the white bookshelves out of storage and get them down here for storage and organization. That will help a lot. Each child can have a whole unit and that help them have what they need at their fingertips.
===========================
Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment